RYLA — the acronym for Rotary Youth Leadership Awards — is a leadership skills training series for high school juniors attending school within Rotary District 7190.
The program consists of seven sessions, one per month, from September to March. Each begins at 10 a.m. and ends about 4:30 p.m. Lunch and all necessary materials are provided.
The deadline for applying is June 30. Tuition is $375. In the case of the Southern Rensselaer County Rotary Club, we pay the tuition for students in our service area.
Interested? Just click to download the RYLA Guide 2018-19 that contains all the details of the program, plus an application form and instructions.
The curriculum includes:
• Fundamentals of leadership
• Ethics of positive leadership
• Importance of communication skills in effective leadership
• Problem-solving and conflict management
• Building self-confidence and self-esteem
• Elements of community and global citizenship
Attendees also can expect to further develop their personal and leadership skills in other key areas:
• Develop interpersonal skills
• Communicate, listen and write more effectively
• Engage in some form of public speaking in a warm, supportive environment
• Identify the various types of personality
• Help people to get along with each other
• Manage their own time more effectively
• Avoid stressful situations
• Plan for healthier living
• Identify the characteristics of effective leaders
• Become aware of the various styles of leadership
• Observe effective leaders operating in a meeting situation
Problem Solving Strategies:
• Brainstorm and think creatively
• Engage in practical problem solving and decision making activities
• Use a problem solving model in a practical situation