Dinner Meeting at Quigley’s Restaurant
593 Columbia Turnpike
East Greenbush, NY
December 15, 2016
Members Attending (11): Debbie Rodriguez, Murray Forth, Pat Bailey, Jim Leyhane, Terry Brewer, Dick Drumm, Dean Calamaras, Phil Kellerman, Carol Orvis, Stewart Wagner, Ray Hannan.
Because we did not have the minimum number (12) of members in attendance to constitute a quorum, the scheduled vote on a set of proposed changes to the Club Bylaws could not be held, and no other official business could be transacted. President Debbie Rodriguez said she will reschedule the vote for sometime in January.
• HOLIDAY PARTY — A reminder that Murray and Maggie Forth are hosting the annual Holiday Party & Basket Silent Auction at 6 p.m. Thursday, December 22. If they have not yet done so, anyone wishing to attend must contact Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org no later then Monday, December 19, to let him know how many will be coming. Persons whose surnames begin with A through K are asked to bring a dessert serving six, and those with names beginning with L-Z an appetizer serving six. And, of course, a themed gift basket for the silent auction.
• HOLIDAY GIFTS — Donations of gifts for Christmas have been very generous again this year, with adopted families provided through Circles of Mercy (headed up by April Dowd) and Doors of Hope (headed up by Terry Brewer) as recipients. … In addition, staff and students from Columbia High School led by John Sawchuk are adopting seven families. … Dean Calamaras reported that donated gloves and hats he and Doris collected have been delivered to needy persons.
• RESOLVED TO RECYCLE — Our New Year’s paper and electronics recycling day will be held on Saturday, January 14, at Wainschaf Associates Construction, located behind Target on 3rd Avenue Extension in Rensselaer. Details are on a flyer that has been sent to all members and placed on our website and Facebook page. Members are asked to help distribute flyers as widely as possible.
• SHARING THE WORD — Debbie and Becky Raymond attended a meeting in Colonie of the Capital District Rotary Club to talk about our work supporting the Freedom From Fistula Foundation. That club is a two-year-old group of mostly young adults who meet in-person monthly but online in between sessions and for project work.
• MILITARY AID — Grants supported by our recent “Bowling for Vets” event will be given at our January 5 meeting to representatives of the Blue Star Mothers military family support group and the Capital District Nordic Alliance for its adaptive sports programs for vets. … Phil Kellerman is continuing to sell specialty coffees with proceeds to be divided between those two groups.
• SIMULATOR GOLF — Two dates have been confirmed for Saturday indoor simulator golf tournaments at Burden Lake Country Club — January 21 and March 11. A flyer for the first event will be distributed to all members and posted on our website and Facebook page in the next week or so.
• ROTARY HOME COOKING — Dean and Doris Calamaras will host the first event in this annual winter series of small, member-hosted dinners. The date for their event is Friday, January 27. They can accommodate six to eight guests, with reservations taken as always on a first-come, first-served basis.
Greenbush Area YMCA
East Greenbush, NY
December 15, 2016
Members Attending (9): Shannon Romanowski, Terry Brewer, Andy Leyhane, Jim Butterworth, Becky Raymond, Matt Smith, Jim Leyhane, Mike Dewey, Murray Forth.
Club member Andy Leyhane spoke about his work as a biochemist at AMRI (formerly known as Albany Molecular Research Institute).