Held at Quigley’s Restaurant
573 Columbia Turnpike
East Greenbush, NY 12061
Members Attending (14): Pat Bailey, Terry Brewer, Debbie Brown, Peter Brown, Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras, Dick Drumm, Charlie Foote, Ray Hannan, Phil Kellerman, Jim Leyhane, Kevin Leyhane, Roberto Martinez, Debbie Rodriguez.
Guests (2): Peter Sawyer, Luigi Magliocca.
President Phil Kellerman called the meeting to order and welcomed members and two guests — Peter Sawyer, from the Burnt Hills Rotary Club, and Luigi Magliocca of Miracle Ear in East Greenbush, guest of Ray Hannan… . Debbie Rodriguez will send a card and gift basket to Murray Forth, whose convalescence is going well. He expects to return to meetings in the next week or two. … Debbie and Doris Calamaras have volunteered to succeed Debbie Brown as dinner meeting meal planners. Thanks to Debbie B. for handling that duty for a number of years. …
Dean Calamaras offered raffle tickets for sale for a drawing that will be part of the annual Gift of Life Golf Tournament next Monday at Pine Haven Country Club in Guilderland. SRC has two teams entered in the event. … We are considering meeting with Danes Rotaract on Thursday, October 24, at the UAlbany School of Public on World Polio Day. As to other programs, coordinator Dick Drumm is asking people to pick a date for which they will provide a speaker/program. … Terry Brewer reported that we have four students from Maple Hill High School who will participate in the 2019-20 Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) program, with SRC paying their tuition fees. …
Contents of the “spare change” jar for the remainder of the Rotary Year will go to the Capital Region Nordic Alliance to help its work providing adaptive sports for disabled military veterans. Donations collected up to this point will go to the Danes Rotaract. … Phil suggested we hold another blanket-making session with the Blue Star Mothers. Debbie R. will contact them to arrange a date. … Guest Peter Sawyer announced his club is sponsoring a fundraiser for polio efforts on Thursday, September 26, at the Wolf Hollow Brewing Company, 6882 Amsterdam Road, Glenville. It is open to all. … Next week’s guest speaker will be Schodack Town Supervisor David Harris.
President Phil presented his goals for the remainder of the 2019-20 Rotary Year.
• Encouraging each member to bring at least one guest, if not more, to a meeting.
• Setting a goal of recruiting and inducting three new members.
• We will hold at least one recycling/shredding day.
• Following up Bill Dowd’s Clynk update of last week, he is encouraging all members to become involved in the recycling effort that provides funds for SRC to donate to ShelterBox. We will maintain a supply of bags and bar code stickers at Quigley’s.
• In an effort to keep meetings to a reasonable length, speakers will be given a five-minute warning at 7:25 so meetings will end promptly at 7:30. No exceptions. He will personally speak to presenters before their talk to inform them of the time limit.