MEMBERS ATTENDING (16): Dick Drumm, Bill Dowd, Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras, Ray Hannan, Roberto Martinez, Jim Leyhane, Terry Brewer, Pat Bailey, Phil Kellerman, Tony Morris, Debbie Rodriguez, Peter Brown, Debbie Brown, John Justino, Murray Forth.
GUESTS (1): Dustin Moore.
• Shannon Romanowski, coordinator of our Easter baskets drive, requests assistance assembling baskets at the Greenbush YMCA from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. this Friday and/or 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Last-minute donations of small toys, toothbrushes, and toothpaste would be appreciated. She estimates we will be donating 150-175 baskets to Circles of Mercy to be distributed to needy children.
• President-elect Debbie Rodriguez reported on last week’s PETS (Presidents-Elect Training Sessions) virtual workshops. She said the Rotary motto for 2021-22 is “Serve To Change Lives.” She also noted that RI has added an area of focus: “supporting the environment.”
• Debbie R. asked for at least two volunteers to participate in the 90-minute Grant Management virtual training on Saturday, April 10. (That is the minimum needed to allow SRC to apply for Rotary grants in the 2021-22 Rotary Year.) Bill Dowd and Phil Kellerman volunteered. Debbie suggested anyone else who wishes to participate to contact her ASAP so we have backup in case someone drops out.
• Dustin Moore, president of the Danes Rotaract, joined us to provide an update on Rotaract locally and proposed bylaws changes which the SRC Board, as his club’s sponsor, will review and vote on at their April 1 meeting. The club’s name will be modified to NYSCR Danes Rotaract (for New York State Capital Region). At the international level, Rotaract has removed the upper age limit (minimum remains 18), which Dustin said he thinks should help in recruitment. The Danes club is changing focus to become more available to younger professionals in the community. A second Rotaract club, sponsored by Albany Rotary, is being formed to make Rotary available to undergraduates on the UAlbany campus. Since the Danes membership is a mix of graduate students and alumni, it would be the next step for members of the fledgling UAlbany club when they graduate.
• Next meeting: Dr. Dave Hannan, immediate past governor of District 7120, will present a virtual program on polio efforts at our 7 p.m. ZOOM meeting. The SRC Board will meet immediately after the regular meeting.