MEMBERS ATTENDING (11, no quorum): Dick Drumm, Debbie Rodriguez, Bill Dowd, Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras, Ray Hannan, Pat Bailey, Phil Kellerman, Roberto Martinez, Jim Leyhane, Charlie Foote.
GUESTS (2): Emma Endres, Brandy Cenci.
President Dick Drumm called the meeting to order and welcomed our guests — student Emma Endres and faculty member Brandy Cenci of Rensselaer High School. Emma is one of our SRC Rotary Scholarship recipients this year as part of the Class of 2021.
Emma, who is graduating second in her class, will attend SUNY Plattsburgh in the fall. She plans to major in early childhood education (K-6). In addition to her regular academic regimen, Emma was involved in the New Visions occupational-shadowing program for technical education. A multi-sport athlete (her softball team won its league championship and was undefeated until the final game of the season), she was instrumental in numerous major fundraising efforts to help fund her school’s athletic program which, due to financial cuts, had been reduced from $213,000 to $135,00.
Asked her advice to students planning their future, Emma said, “Follow what your heart wants and what makes you happy.”
• DINNER & A SHOW — Bill Dowd reported that all 12 seats for the August 5 package in New Lebanon have been reserved. Dinner will be at Mario’s Restaurant, followed by a performance of the Cole Porter musical “Night & Day” at The Theater Barn. He noted that although the restaurant group size is capped, anyone else who wishes to reserve a theater seat on their own can do so online.
• PICNIC & BASEBALL — Debbie Rodriguez reported that she has received reservations for 13 of the 20 available seats for a picnic and ValleyCats game at Bruno Stadium on August 19, and has a tentative group that will fill the remaining spots. Anyone still wishing to reserve should contact her ASAP to discuss the possibilities.
• TENTATIVE EVENT — Ray Hannan tentatively reserved August 12, one of our two open “Summer Casual” dates for an event he is working on. Details to come. That leaves August 26 as our last open date. Anyone wishing to host or arrange an event for that date should contact Debbie Rodriguez and/or Bill Dowd to hold the date.
• SOAP SALES — Jim Leyhane and Roberto Martinez reported they have sold the last of 200 bars of handcrafted, scented soaps as a scholarship fundraiser. They accumulated $1,400+.
• GIFT OF LIFE — Dean and Doris Calamaras announced that the District GOL is seeking candidates for board seats. In addition, organizers of the September 20 GOL Golf Tournament at Pinehaven Country Club in Guilderland are seeking sponsors via program ad purchases and outright donations. Contact Dean for details.
• MEETING VENUE SEARCH — Jim reported that he has been in contact with the East Greenbush Fire Department about making one of the firehouses available at no charge for our weekly dinner meetings. (We would need to find a caterer.) He said he should receive preliminary information on details after an EGFD next week. Roberto said he plans to contact the management of the Crisp Canoli to discuss possibilities.
• SCHOLARSHIP VISITORS — Two more SRC Rotary Scholarship recipients are scheduled to join us via Zoom next Thursday, June 17: Meghan Bennett of Maple Hill High School and Hannah Grill of Columbia High School.