MEMBERS ATTENDING (16): Debbie Rodriguez, Bill Dowd, Dick Drumm, Charlie Foote, Pat Bailey, Roberto Martinez, Jim Leyhane, Tony Morris, Andy Leyhane, Peter Brown, Debbie Brown, Phil Kellerman. By proxy: Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras, Carol Orvis, Terry Brewer.
President Debbie Rodriguez called the Zoom meeting to order, noting the presence of a quorum.
• HEALTH UPDATE: Debbie reported that she spoke to Doris Calamaras this week and Doris said she is feeling much better after a lengthy period of hospitalization and rehab.
• VIKING GYM — Our scheduled meeting with the East Greenbush Kiwanis Club to discuss a joint effort to restore the outdoor Viking Gym at Schodack Town Park was postponed. It has been rescheduled for Wednesday, April 27.
• SCHOLARSHIPS — We received an inquiry from Rensselaer High School’s Brandy Cenci asking if we plan to continue our scholarship program this year. Since the club agreed by consensus months ago to do so, it was agreed that now is time to contact Rensselaer, Columbia, and Maple Hill high schools to ascertain their preferred candidates. Debbie will check with Terry Brewer who has coordinated the effort in the past to see if he is interested in doing so again. If not, she will turn it over to someone else ASAP. The program provides a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating senior at each school.
• ROTARACT — Debbie reported that the NYSCR Danes Rotaract Club we sponsor has added four members. A get-acquainted lunch will be scheduled for the members and the club board, and efforts are being made to elect a new slate of officers.
• SHELTER BOX UPDATE — Bill Dowd reported that the club, several individual members, and one former member together have donated about $3,000 to ShelterBox this year. We continue with strong participation in our small-but-steady fundraising effort through the Clynk recycling program. He also noted that ShelterBox has grown well beyond simply being an independent agency providing relief after natural disasters, taking emergency equipment to areas such as Ukraine and Yemen.
• UPCOMING MEETINGS — The SRC Board will meet after the regular dinner meeting on Thursday, May 5. … Mike Moscatiello of our host Moscatiello’s Italian Family Restaurant, will be the speaker at our Thursday, April 21, dinner meeting. His topic: “Restaurants During COVID,” a particularly timely and interesting topic. (Entree choices for that meeting are chicken Caesar salad and chicken limon.)