MEMBERS ATTENDING (17): Debbie Rodriguez, Bill Dowd, Charlie Foote, Roberto Martinez, Jim Leyhane, Ray Hannan, Kevin Leyhane, Phil Kellerman, Becky Raymond, Peter Brown, Debbie Brown, Dick Drumm, Andy Leyhane, Pat Bailey. By proxy: Carol Orvis, Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras.
President Debbie Rodriguez called the meeting to order, noting the presence of a quorum and the fact that it was the last Zoom meeting of the Rotary Year.
• DONATIONS — By consensus, it was decided not to make a financial contribution to the Rotary float project for the 2023 Rose Parade.
• MEMBERSHIP — It was reported that all but one current member paid six-month or one-year dues for the start of the 2022-23 Rotary Year. Wells Packard has been removed from the membership roll.
• VALLEYCATS OUTING — Several tickets remain for the Thursday, August 4, ValleyCats baseball game and pre-game pavilion picnic, part of our “Summer Casual” schedule for July and August. Prices: $30 per adult, $25 for children 12 and under. Anyone who has not yet let event coordinator Debbie Rodriguez know of their interest is asked to do so no later than next Thursday, June 30.
• VIKING GYM — Ron Annis reports from Sweden that he’ll begin work on reconstruction of the rustic installment at Schodack Town Park when he returns home in August.
• IMPACT COMMITTEE — Chair Pat Bailey reported that about $800 has been raised, and numerous members of the public spoken to about Rotary, during a series of appearances at Kristy’s Barn and the Schodack Town Park summer music series. The last such event is scheduled for next Tuesday.
• DRIVER SAFETY COURSE — Kevin Leyhane issued a final call for anyone interested in participating in a course on Saturday, July 23, at a venue TBD. A minimum of 20 people is needed. SRC members are eligible, as are friends and family. Contact Kevin at KRL1873@aol.com by this weekend.
• PRESIDENTIAL CHANGEOVER — Debbie Rodriguez will pass the gavel to Kevin Leyhane for the 2022-23 Rotary Year at the 6:15 p.m. Thursday, June 30, meeting at Moscatiello’s, our final meeting of the 2021-22 year. As of the next day, July 1, Peter Brown will become President-elect en route to becoming president for 2023-24.
• THE RI CONVENTION — Jim Leyhane (5th convention) and Roberto Martinez (3rd time) were among 22 Rotarians from District 7190 to participate in the Rotary International Convention in Houston June 4-8. In total, more than 11,000 Rotarians were at the first in-person convention in three years.
Roberto and Jim described the range of speakers — from the first woman ever to be RI’s president-elect to a Nobel laureate, to a former moonwalking astronaut, to a Ukranian OB/GYN.
Discussion emphasis was on such global problems as clean water, child trafficking, and women’s rights.
The 2023 convention will be in Melbourne, Australia, and the 2024 session in Calgary, Alberta.
Jim says his shoulder surgery won’t let him hold the world. but the moon is another story.