MEMBERS ATTENDING (15): Debbie Rodriguez, Kevin Leyhane, Charlie Foote, Roberto Martinez, Jim Leyhane, Phil Kellerman, Peter Brown, Debbie Brown, Dick Drumm, Andy Leyhane, Pat Bailey. By proxy: Carol Orvis, Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras, Terry Brewer.
President Debbie Rodriguez called the meeting to order, noting the presence of a quorum and the fact that it was the last meeting of the Rotary Year.
Debbie passed the gavel to President-elect Kevin Leyhane for the 2022-23 Rotary Year that begins on July 1. She provided some highlights of her year as president. Debbie was given two folding Rotary lawn chairs. Kevin said he will be collecting thoughts on moving the club forward and is looking forward to another successful year,
• DONATIONS — By consensus, it was decided make a financial contribution of $100 to the Castleton Girl Scout/Brownie Troop 1762 for its effort to replace the 911 plaque in the Schodack Town Park. The Scouts had emailed and approached Rotary members at last Tuesday’s “Summer In the Park” event.
• VALLEYCATS OUTING — Several tickets remain for the Thursday, August 4, ValleyCats baseball game and pre-game pavilion picnic, part of our “Summer Casual” schedule for July and August. Prices: $30 per adult, $25 for children 12 and under. Please let event coordinator Debbie Rodriguez know if you are interested. Debbie will collect ticket money on July 14 at Peter and Debbie Brown’s picnic. Tickets will be available for pick up at the pool party at the Leyhane house on July 21.
• IMPACT COMMITTEE — Chair Pat Bailey reported that nearly $1,000 has been raised from, and numerous members of the public spoken to about Rotary, a series of appearances at the YMCA Healthy Kids Day, Kristy’s Barn, and the Schodack Town Park summer music series. There may be opportunities next year. We were hoping to attract new members through such efforts. Congratulations and hats off to all committee members and those who participated.
• SHELTER BOX SOLAR LIGHTS — The Shelter Box Starter kit was received this week. It included 10 small solar lamps and five large solar lamps. The club funded the first $260, and the lamps sell for $25 for the smaller and $50 for the larger lamp. The net proceeds of $250 will go to ShelterBox. At tonight’s meeting, nine of the smaller and two of the larger lights were sold. There are one small and three large lights remaining for sale. Anyone wanting any of the remaining inventory may contact Roberto Martinez.
• DISTRICT GRANT — The final report of the 2021-22 grant was submitted by Jim Leyhane and Roberto. Many thanks to Terry Brewer for his coordination of the scholarship program, and congratulations to the three students receiving $1,000 scholarships.
• DRIVER SAFETY COURSE — Per Kevin Leyhane, there was not enough response to hold the course this summer. The subject will be revisited in the fall.
• “SUMMER CASUAL” — The first event of the July-August calendar will be a picnic at Peter and Debbie Brown’s residence at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 14. Please bring an appetizer.