The need was for dinner for 40 — no, not for 4, or 14, or even 24 or 34, but 40 guest lodgers at the Ronald McDonald House complex in Albany.
A team of seven Southern Rensselaer County Rotarians — led by chef Bill Dowd and sous chefs April Dowd, Roberto Martinez, Debbie Rodriguez, Debbie Brown, Peter Brown, and Mike Dewey — whipped up a wide range of foods to feed the multitudes on Thursday evening.
• Chicken Milanese (thin, boneless chicken breasts, dredged in an egg wash and seasoned bread crumbs, then pan fried in olive oil)
• Sautéed sweet Italian sausage with multicolored bell peppers and onions
• 2 pasta sides: one with a meatless tomato sauce, one with a butter/Parmesan/parsley sauce
• 2 veggie sides: green beans and corn
• A salad of mixed baby greens and romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and a variety of dressings
• Several types of fresh-baked rolls
• Assorted cupcakes and cookies
Here are a few scenes from the day, captured by Bill and by Roberto in fleeting moments between chores.