Southern Rensselaer County Rotary Club
Your Guide to a Better Hospital Stay
July 1, 2017
This Hospital Stay Brochure was created by members of the Southern Rensselaer County (NY) Rotary Club and the School of Public Health at the State University of New York at Albany.
The brochure was developed to facilitate a more efficient and more comfortable in-patient stay. It cannot be sold, but it may be modified by individual organizations in ways that accommodate its use within that organization.
It is available free of charge to any organization that wishes to use it. Indeed, it has been created with the express intent that hospitals or provider organizations will adopt and modify the document to suit their specific situations, programs and contacts.
There are three essential elements for improving patient outcomes and increasing satisfaction in the healthcare experience: patient engagement, education of people willing to support a person who is hospitalized, and dialogue among caregivers.Therefore, the goals of this Hospital Stay Brochure pamphlet include:
- providing guidance on navigating a hospital stay
- opening communications among the patient, those who support the patient, and caregivers
- empowering the patient or surrogate in decision making
- engaging the hospital in partnering with the patient and surrogate
- promoting the concept of patient helpers to represent patients who may not readily be able to voice concerns and/or needs
Please direct questions or comments to Peter C. Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. It would be especially helpful to receive feedback on the use of the brochure, including where it is used and any results collected from its implementation. We consider this as a work in progress, and would like to share experiences with others.
The brochure can be found at this web address:
Thank you for your interest and support.
Peter C. Brown
Jim Butterworth, Ph.D.
James Leyhane, M.D.
Roberto Martinez, M.D.
Robert Martiniano, DrPH.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
• Hospital Stay Brochure Introductory Letter
• Hospital Stay Brochure for Patients
• Hospital Stay Brochure for Hospitals