Members Attending (12): Debbie Rodriguez, Kevin Leyhane, Terry Brewer, Pat Bailey, Jim Leyhane, Andy Leyhane, Dick Drumm, Dean Calamaras, Roberto Martinez, Phil Kellerman, Charlie Foote, Becky Raymond.
Guests (4): District Governor Bruce McConnelee, District Governor-elect Denise DiNoto, Mary Drumm, Lorraine McConnelee.
• President Debbie Rodriguez presided. Jim Leyhane requested a moment of silence in remembrance of former member Bill Wyld (see obituary).
• District Governor Bruce McConnelee presented the club with a 2021-22 Rotary pennant. He said this year’s motto is “Serve To Change Lives.” He also touched on a variety of topics such as the upcoming Foundation Dinner and its “Roaring Twenties” theme; Ballston Spa club is selling shirts as a Foundation fundraiser at prices ranging from $25-40 depending on style (see order form here); new clubs within Rotary include a Veterans Club in Glenville focused on military veterans and an international, online Heartbeat Club; the annual RI convention, scheduled for Houston in 2022 after two years of virtual events due to the pandemic; a Membership Diversity Team, headed by Ken Baxter, now has 10 members.
• Bruce distributed new Rotary pins to those in attendance. Anyone still in need of one can pick one up at the October 14 meeting.
• Club treasurer Murray Forth is hospitalized after having a knee replacement removed. He will undergo rehab and extended treatments.
• Dean Calamaras reported that 120 people participated in the Gift of Life Golf Tournament at Pine Haven Country Club in Guilderland. SRC had three foursomes. Final financial report is pending.
• Jim Leyhane revived discussion that we began in 2019 (see report here) on a potential school bus camera program. The aim is to help enforce the state prohibition on passing a stopped school bus, which problem that seems to be on the rise in recent years. The cost is about $1,000 per camera. Jim said he knows of two school districts that would be interested and said this could be a self-sustaining initiative if properly drawn up and implemented. The matter will be brought up for additional discussion.
• Next Meetings: We will meet virtually at 7 p.m. next Thursday, October 7, via Zoom. As always, members can access the meeting via the club website calendar page. The following Thursday, October 14, we will return to Moscatiello’s (5:30 social time, 6:15 dinner meeting).